By Modupe Shodeinde
The Federal Government has lifted the total shutdown of the Third Mainland Bridge on Sunday night.
The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola, on Sunday, said this would be done 24 hours ahead of schedule at midnight of Jan. 31.
Popoola told the News Agrency of Nigeria (NAN) on the telephone that the contractor was able to complete the repair works on the bridge on Saturday, hence the lifting of the total closure at midnight.
“The casting of the expansion joints was completed on Saturday. Therefore, the Third Mainland Bridge will be opened by 12 midnight of Jan. 31.
“Motorists can start plying the bridge as from 12 midnight,” he said.
While thanking road users for their understanding, Popoola said that the reopening had been communicated to the Lagos State government and all relevant agencies to ensure seamless traffic on the highway.
NAN recalls that Popoola had, on Jan. 27, announced a three-day total shutdown of the bridge from the midnight of Friday to midnight of Monday, Feb. 1 to allow for replacement of three expansion joints.
In a statement on Sunday from the Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Dr Frederic Oladeinde, it was explained that the earlier movement arrangements of 12am for Lagos Island-bound motorists and noon for mainland bound motorists still exist.